Monday, February 22, 2010

diy shoes.


These little ditties are in the JCrew Spring 2010 catalogue. I think they are pretty fabulous. I had some thoughts... First, I typically don't like heels this short, but for work, they are ideally superb. Second, I did not so much like the price tag that JCrew chose to attach to them. {If I am gonna fork out that much, in my opinion, I would go ahead & splurge for Louboutins.} So instead, I set out to try and make a pair of my own.


{ahem, please ignore my amature photography skills.}
I first located a pair of shoes I no longer really wear. {I kept the heel short for work, stillettos can get out of control all week... I got these particular Nine West heels about about a year ago at TJ Maxx for $13.} I then picked some satin fabric with a sheen that would compliment the satin on the shoes. {I had it in my fabric stash, but you can go out & grab some to match. Check the remnants section.} I wanted something that would pop a bit more than making it monochromatic, so I used a black satin & a gold tulle to accent.

To make the rosettes, cut multiple size squares, (l & w ) 2" - 4". With each square, fold it in half, & then in half a second time. Cut the edges to make a rounded, half semi- circle. After you have done this step with all your squares. (I used about 10 - 12 squares per shoe, only 3 of those being the gold accent.) Start to hot glue one on top of the other, randomly bunching/scrunching as you layer. I then, cut out a thicker piece of fabric for the bottom in circle and used it as my base to glue it on. I then randomly started clustering and gluing to create dimension. After all of them are stacked/clustered, go back in & add bunched squares to fill in some of the gaps.

This process left me a rather large rose, you can stop here if you like. I knew I wanted it really densely packed, so I started hot gluing many of the folds & creases together to pack in the clusters. I finally, took some black thread, doubled up on the needle and started weaving/sewing in & out of the edges and through the rose to further cluster & create density.

Finally, I just glued on the rose in the desired location. The key to finishing it is to take a lighter & quickly/carefully run the flame over the edge of the fabric to melt it down and seal in the ends to deter from fraying. Enjoy!

2 comments:

tam pham said...

such a great DIY! love the end result!

tam
http://tampham.blogspot.com

Mrs. K Grandjean said...

I must say Wow!! So talented!!