Tuesday, June 30, 2009

mallows.


Marshmallows are probably one of my favorite foods on earth... seriously. They rank up there with avocados, cheetos, and cake. So I went on a mission to get the ingredients to make these delectable delights tonight... we have been popping them nonstop around the office, so I was inspired to make a batch at home.

Here is Ina Garten's recipe,
Homemade Marshmallows:
3 packages unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Combine the gelatin and 1/2 cup of cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and allow to sit while you make the syrup.
Meanwhile, combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Raise the heat to high and cook until the syrup reaches 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat.
With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the sugar syrup into the dissolved gelatin. Put the mixer on high speed and whip until the mixture is very thick, about 15 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix thoroughly.

Yummm Yummmm...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Those look so delish! I am going to have to try this recipe.

Will and Vanessa said...

Mine too. Seriously, it is the first thing I ask for friends to bring from the States. In fact, your post reminded me that I have some in my drawer at work.

I am also obsessed with white kitchens, so I loved that post too.

Hmmm. We have a lot in common.